Saturday 12 May 2012

Delicious "Breakfast stack" recipe

My very first attempt in making my favourite Melbourne breakfast !!




Today's brunch

"Breakfast stack"



My most favourite breakfast is a dish called "breakfast stack" in one of the cafes in Melb.
I used to eat this often when I lived in Melbourne.
But since I moved to Singapore last year, I hadn't been able to eat it for a long time.
I missed this dish so much.

So, when I went back to Melbourne for a holiday about a week ago, I thought I must eat this again.
And I did! It was as awesome as last time I ate it.


After flying back to Singapore, I missed this dish again straight away.
Then I thought,

hey why don't I try making it myself at home?




Well, the display of the dish is not as good as the real "breakfast stack" as I failed to make them stack nicely, and also my very fist attempt in making poached egg failed.


But hey!

It tasted as delicious as the one I ate in Melbourne!:D
I think, the secret is the Halloumi cheese and the tomato sauce around the stack!

I stack a potato patty, few slices of grilled Halloumi cheese, chicken& cheese sausages, grilled tomatoes and a poached egg.



For the tomato sauce, I used tomatoes, onions, Italian herbs, Lemon & Garlic marinate sauce (from Marks&Spencer) and tomato ketchup.



It takes time- but it's delicious and cost saving if you cook it at home!
Also you can eat it anytime & anywhere you want! - Well, what I meant by "Anywhere" is countries like whether you are in Australia or Singapore or in Japan, you can have this delicious breakfast!)





Recipe


Ingredients

*potatoes 2
*sweet honey mini tomatoes 5 or so
*your choice of sausages/bacons 2
*Halloumi cheese 2 slices
*egg 1
*Butter/olive oil 1 tea spoon
*Italian herbs- just a sprinkle

Ingredients for the sauce
*sweet honey mini tomatoes 5 or so
*Onion1/8
*Lemon and Gralic marinate sauce 3 table spoons
*Tomato ketchup 4 table spoons
*Italian herbs - just a sprinkle


Instructions

1. Peel the potato skin, cut them into half, boil them till they become soft enough to mash.
2. Meanwhile, cut the tomatoes into half (Cut all the tomatoes, both for the stack and the sauce together, so that it will be easier later on).
3. Once the potatoes are boiled, take them out of the water and mash! Once mashed, make a patty shape.
4. Heat up a pan with either butter or olive oil. place the patty and half of the chopped tomatoes. Sprinkle the herbs on top of the tomatoes, leave them for a while then, flip them over before they get burnt. Once nicely cooked, take them out of the pan, and start stacking. A potato patty, then tomatoes.
5. On the same pan, cook the cheese and sausages. (Cheese cooks faster than sausages)
Once done, stack them on top of the tomatoes.
6. Poaching the egg! - I'm still not sure how to do it well, but boil the water in a pot, either gently crack the egg into the water, or crack the egg on a bowl first and slowly smoothly slip the egg into the water.
Once done, place the egg on top of the breakfast stack!


7. Now, the sauce! sauce is easy.
Mince the onion. put all the ingredients in a pan. bring it to boil.




Enjoy!!!
Happy weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment