Monday 26 November 2012

Few weeks back: Lagnaa Cooking Class

 
Few weeks ago, in early November,
I went to an Indian restaurant called Lagnaa for the first time.
 
It is located somewhat 10 mins walk from Little India MRT (train) station.
 
 
 
 
Once you see foot prints on the ground, you know that Lagnaa is nearby.
 
As you follow the foot prints...



You will see a huge Indian guy standing in front of the shop.
 
 

 
Here we are!
 
Lagnaa!
 







 
There should be 8 of us but I was the first to arrive.

So I ordered mango lassi while waiting for others to arrive.






A friendly master chef started off his cooking lesson by introducing various India spices.
 
I was facinated by the varieties of spices which I had never seen before
and so I forgot to take pictures.
 
There were a French couple,
an Australian & American Japanese couple & her mother,
an Australian man who had lived in Japan for 15 years,
a Japanese lady who had lived in Singapore for years,
and Me.
 
They all knew so well about Indian spices!
They guessed the spices by smelling and tasting them.
It was amazing! I had no idea what they were.
 
 
 
 

 
 
Ingredients for my favourite butter chicken
 
 
 



Cooking is in progress....
 
 
 
 
Half way through, the chef asked us,
"What do you think are the common mistakes people tend to do while cooking butter chicken?"
 
Someone said
"Putting too much salt?"
 
They the chef said
"Ok, then pelase put it"
 
We were like,
"What?! NO!"
 
 
Well, but he insisted.
 
I thought people usually go for cooking lessons
to prevent those "common mistakes".
 
 
But the chef wanted us to perform common mistakes!
 
He promised us that he would fix it no matter how badly we turn our butter chicken into...
 
(Well, at the end, he couldn't save one of our butter chicken and the person who trusted the chef had to eat this super salty butter chicken...)
 
 
My butter chicken was safe beause I didn't trust the chef haha
I added extra water in stead of salt.
I knew how to save my butter chicken from too much water.
 Just boil it longer.
 
 
Anyway, this was a rather unusual cooking class...
Isn't this more like an experiment...
 
 
 
 


My butter chicken!
 



 
 
They served our own butter chicken together with naan, rice,
and one more dish we chose from the restaurant menu.


 
 
I still think that my butter chicken was the best
among all the other dishes we ordered from the menu.
 
Others also agreed
 
(that their butter chicken was the best among all the other dishes,
except for the salty one in which the chef failed to save!)
 
 
I shared my thoughts with the chef. :p
 
He just laughed.
 
 
 
It was really fun meeting new people,
talk and chill out over my delicious butter chicken (and the rest of the food).
 
 
 
BUT I must say that I was quit disapointed with the cooking class.
 
Not just because he broke his promise and failed to save one of our butter chicken,
but all he taught us was to use a butter chicken paste to cook our delicious butter chicken.
 
The paste is made in the restaurant and they sell it for $30 plus? for a small jar.
I didn't buy it but many of them did.
 
 
 
I don't think we should call it a cooking class.
 
 
 
 
If I don't make something from scratch,
I don't call it cooking.
 
 
Since the cooking class itself already costed $70 plus,
they should have taught me propper cooking.
 
 
 
 
So, I had a good time but with quite A LOT of disapointment.
 
 
 
Maybe I should do some more experiment
and find my own butter chicken recipe, hey?
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment